• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First "Larrabee" Project Offset screenshot according to Intel

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is next-gen:D

11074_large_11072_large_Larrabee1.jpg

Yes, screenshot:D Take it with a grain of salt though, until we see an "official" "this is a screenshot" or better yet a video, we can't say for sure. They will be at E3 though, but unclear to what extent PO will be shown. Probably not much yet.

Unrelated article from where the screenshot is from: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Visu...ll+Spur+Larrabee+Development/article15115.htm

For those who need some memory refreshment, here is some two years old (and older) footage from back when Offset Software was a small team of around 3 to 10 people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkoi6WCCJHY

EDIT: Oh and some random character from the official site:

4.jpg

Damn. Well it's finally coming. Gaming will finally achieve CG quality graphics.

Seems that Offset will bethe next "Crysis".

Too bad that the majority of gaming developers will never be able to achieve this graphical detail.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
god, animation better start cathcing up... that will be the new "uncanny valley", completely unnatural gameplay animation with graphics that amazing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
op_ivy said:
god, animation better start cathcing up... that will be the new "uncanny valley", completely unnatural gameplay animation with graphics that amazing.

Yeah I agree, this is the next big step.

op_ivy said:

unfortunately, animation is more about skill than technology. Unless you can find a real dragon to motion capture.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
akachan ningen said:
unfortunately, animation is more about skill than technology. Unless you can find a real dragon to motion capture.

since dragons dont exist, i'm actually less concerned about them then humans/humanoids. i can just picture that scene playing out in my head as a dynasty warriors style beat em up, and the animations that we are seeing, even the very best today, would just glaringly stick out against visuals of that caliber.

I agree with what most say in this thread about animation. With the exception of Capcom and Valve animation in polygonal is very subpar.

I was playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl earlier and geez louezz, that game makes Guilty Gear seem to have good animation.

Fio

I don't know what to say about it. This image is blurry as fuck, probably to hide some problems.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Are you fucking blind?

*edit*

WTF, why do the :lols show up fine (horizontal) in preview but vertical when posted?

Kevin

One blurry picture doesn't impress me and neither did that tech demonstration video with meteors falling out of the sky crashing through ancient structures. It might look a little better then stuff from Gears of War 2 and Uncharted 2 but honestly, not a whole lot. No in my opinion!

KTallguy

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
I was playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl earlier and geez louezz, that game makes Guilty Gear seem to have good animation.

Smash Brothers has excellent animation.
Go into the training mode and put everything in slow motion.
It's really excellent.

But because it plays so incredibly fast, and the speed of the game is so fast, it's really hard to see how good it really is.

With already soaring development costs, will this even be a reality?

We have some great looking games now, but not every game looks great. Why? Because it is just not cost effective for most studios and most games.

Maybe Intel will develop the chip and fund all the games that will use it, because few other studios will want to spend the resources necessary.

KTallguy said:
Smash Brothers has excellent animation.
Go into the training mode and put everything in slow motion.
It's really excellent.

But because it plays so incredibly fast, and the speed of the game is so fast, it's really hard to see how good it really is.

Slow motion or not, in regular motion it looks really bad. And I doubt that speed has anything to do with it since there are games that play significantly faster than Brawl that look smooth.

NorrenRadd said:
With already soaring development costs, will this even be a reality?

We have some great looking games now, but not every game looks great. Why? Because it is just not cost effective for most studios and most games.

This is what I was thinking.

tokkun

I am guessing that this is not a case of 'look at this screenshot of a game running on Larrabee'

Often with papers that focus on fully-programmable GPU architectures, they will make an argument that the Z-buffer architecture is outmoded because it can't handle certain lighting and transparency effects. Then they show a pre-rendered image that shows things like multi-object transparency and say 'this is what is possible with new algorithms' but do not claim that it can be done in real-time yet. I would guess that this is the same sort of thing, given the "This is what we can do / This is what other GPUs can do" comparison.

tokkun said:
I am guessing that this is not a case of 'look at this screenshot of a game running on Larrabee'

Often with papers that focus on fully-programmable GPU architectures, they will make an argument that the Z-buffer architecture is outmoded because it can't handle certain lighting and transparency effects. Then they show a pre-rendered image that shows things like multi-object transparency and say 'this is what is possible with new algorithms' but do not claim that it can be done in real-time yet. I would guess that this is the same sort of thing, given the "This is what we can do / This is what other GPUs can do" comparison.
And it's so obviously a piece of concept art, a pretty mediocre one at that.

That looks really blurry. And it doesn't look like gameplay. For these two reasons, I really don't care too much about that shot.

Still interested in Project Offset though if it would ever effing come out.

jonnyp

Flying_Phoenix said:
Damn. Well it's finally coming. Gaming will finally achieve CG quality graphics.

Seems that Offset will bethe next "Crysis".

Too bad that the majority of gaming developers will never be able to achieve this graphical detail.

Never? That's a pretty silly statement, don't you think?

neight

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Slow motion or not, in regular motion it looks really bad. And I doubt that speed has anything to do with it since there are games that play significantly faster than Brawl that look smooth.
You're crazy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
adelante said:
holeeeyyy jeeebus

Edit: hmmm and according to Intel, this is what the competition's able to achieve right now:

11073_large_11071_large_Larrabee2.jpg
So they took that image, photoshopped in some people and smoke and slathered it with blur filters?

Cool.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Like others have mentioned..

nice screenie but if the animation is not matching, then it will feel a bit bad looking at it.
But i love the art, it feels epic.. E3 this year will be crazy interesting..

Easy_D

never left the stone age
adelante said:
holeeeyyy jeeebus

Edit: hmmm and according to Intel, this is what the competition's able to achieve right now:

11073_large_11071_large_Larrabee2.jpg
They must've completely missed the new Lost Planet 2 footage or something

Top Bottom